Change your holiday habits!
- Lower calorie appetizers, like fruit and vegetables
- Smaller plates and tall skinny glasses
- Stay on your regular schedule of eating, exercising and sleeping
Know your limits:
- Eat before you go to a party or out holiday shopping. You will be less likely to overeat.
- Make a healthy food for parties.
- Have a plan for eating…like 5 small appetizers and 2 drinks.
- 2 mixed drinks can have almost 500 calories and depending on the appetizers, it can run as high as can 230 per appetizer.
- Wash your hands; try to eat with utensils to prevent illness.
- Be aware of what you are eating; take the time to enjoy it.
- Carry hard candy mints to change the flavor in your mouth or brush your teeth to signal yourself to stop eating.
Start a new tradition:
- Instead of giving cookies try making soup mixes or salsa as gifts
- Make a non-food craft as a holiday activity
- Go for a walk, ice skate, or sledding to enjoy the season
- Try reducing fat and sugar in your holiday baking by substituting applesauce