Enjoy the healthful benefits of seafood, at least two meals a week.
1. Keep seafood cold* between store and home. Store immediately in refrigerator.
2. Use fresh fish within 1-2 days or wrap tightly and freeze immediately.
3. Thaw seafood overnight under refrigeration.
4. Keep raw seafood separate from cooked/ready-to-eat foods. Prevent raw/thawing seafood from dripping on other foods.
5. Refrigerate live (in shell) clams or oysters in shallow pan (no water). Cover with damp towel to maintain humidity. Use clams/mussels within 2-3 days and oysters within 7 days. Discard gaping shellfish that do not clamp shut when tapped.
6. Refrigerate shucked shellfish; use within 3 days.
7. Cook live lobsters or crabs the same day purchased.
8. Cook seafood to internal temperature of 145oF for 15 seconds (fish becomes opaque and flaky; shrimp/scallops turn firm and opaque).
*Connecticut Sea Grant has insulated bags for $3 each. Call 860-408-9128.
By Nancy Balcom