Search #: 497240
Work type: Full-time
Location: Fairfield County Extension Ctr
Categories: Academic Programs and Services
The UConn Fairfield County Extension Center located in Bethel, CT is seeking applications for a full-time Program Assistant, Education Outreach. The Program Assistant will be responsible for promoting and carrying out community-based nutrition, outreach, and youth development programs with limited resource families and youth in Fairfield County (in a designated geographic area). This position will provide community field work and administrative computer data entry assistance for the unit. The Program Assistant will work under the general supervision of the Fairfield County Extension Educator working with Community Nutrition. Evening and weekend hours will also be required based on program needs.
The College of Agriculture, Health, and Natural Resources at the University of Connecticut provides for a global sustainable future through scientific discovery, innovation, and community engagement. Our accomplishments result in safe, sustainable, and secure plant and animal production systems, healthier individuals and communities, greater protection and conservation of our environment and natural resources, balanced growth of the economy, and resilient local and global communities. We epitomize the role of the land-grant university which is to develop knowledge and disseminate it through the three academic functions of teaching, research, and outreach education. In so doing, we work to improve the lives of citizens of our state, region, and country. At present, our workforce consists of 315 faculty and staff. We serve 2,406 undergraduate and graduate students. We invite applications from people who share the same vision of academic excellence and customer service.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Works with supervisor to plan, organize and implement regional program activities, which may include working irregular hours, including evenings and weekends. Recruits and teaches classes focused on nutrition, physical activity, food preparation, and food safety.
- Collaborates with community agencies to establish partnerships.
- Under the direction of the supervisor, administers evaluation tools.
- Writes reports as directed.
- Serves as contact with the community and provides for informational needs such as publications, project program materials, and educational opportunities.
- Promotes community-based nutrition outreach and youth development programs through media and group presentations; recruits and provides educational opportunities for program members.
- May serve as project liaison to University offices/departments, public school officials, and community agencies.
- May assist supervisor to provide academic, personal, and financial advisement and to help maintain program caseload.
- Participates in staff meetings and in-service training, which may include evening and/or weekend hours.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Four years of profession-based experience in community nutrition or related field; or Bachelor’s degree in a related field and up to one year of related experience; or Associate’s degree and two to three years of related experience.
- Demonstrated background in community health and wellness, which includes experience working with families and youth or other disciplines related to program needs.
- Strong evidence of interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Strong technology skills that include demonstrated use of Microsoft Office and experience with data entry.
- Demonstrated experience with social media outreach.
- Willingness and ability to work weekend and evening hours as needed.
- Willingness and ability to travel within Fairfield County for programming activities and related meetings.
- Must have available personal transportation and a valid driver’s license.
- Oral and written fluency in Spanish.
- Experience with teaching and/or public speaking.
- Experience establishing and maintaining community partnerships.
This is a full-time position located at the Fairfield County Extension Center. This position is grant-funded and has an end-date that is subject to annual re-appointments contingent upon satisfactory performance and funding availability. The position will be based at the Fairfield County Extension Center, however regular travel within the region will be required. Occasional in-state travel to other UConn campuses, including Storrs, may be required in support of program needs. The University offers a competitive salary, commensurate with the successful candidate’s background and experience, outstanding benefits, including employee and dependent tuition waivers at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment. For additional information regarding benefits visit: https://hr.uconn.edu/benefits-beyond-pay/. Other rights, terms, and conditions of employment are contained in the collective bargaining agreement between the University of Connecticut and the University of Connecticut Professional Employees Association (UCPEA).
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #497240 to upload a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references. Screening of applications will begin immediately.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on March 23, 2023.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Advertised: Feb 21 2023 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Mar 23 2023 Eastern Daylight Time