Outreach Assistant (Educational Program Assistant 2)
Search #: 497128
Work type: Part-time
Location: Tolland County Extension Center
Categories: Academic Programs and Services
UConn Extension is seeking a part-time Outreach Assistant (Education Program Assistant 2) who will coordinate the activities and provide support for the University’s farm-to-school outreach programming in partnership with the CT Farm to School Collaborative (CTFTSC). The mission of the CTFTSC is to utilize collective knowledge and resources to shift power and create equitable opportunities for locally produced food and food education in Connecticut schools and early childhood centers. This position works with limited supervision from the Extension Educator in Food Systems in regard to administrative duties and budget management. The position will work in close coordination with a 10-member Steering Committee of the CTFTSC in regard to communications, outreach, and network-building. The position is based at UConn Extension’s Tolland County Center in Vernon, CT with an option for telecommuting on a hybrid basis with the expectation to report onsite as needed. Occasional evenings and weekends are required to support program needs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leading and executing events and activities, including monthly meetings, workshops, seminars, and retreats, in an effort to increase visibility and momentum for farm-to-school in CT.
- Creating, preparing, and updating outreach and promotional materials to inform and educate the public and policymakers about farm-to-school.
- Serving as a liaison and first point of contact with stakeholders and potential partners; responding to inquiries from external groups.
- Performing outreach presentations to partners and stakeholders to maintain stable and growing relationships in support of farm-to-school.
- Representing UConn Extension and CTFTSC at stakeholder events and with external groups.
- Generating meeting calendars, setting deadlines, and managing timelines.
- Entering evaluation information into reporting systems and preparing material for progress reports.
- Developing print, digital, and email content, e-newsletters, social media campaigns, and web content.
- Assisting with the overall strategy for building program-related networks and relationships with stakeholders.
- Assisting in the management of budgets, monitoring expenditures, and grant writing.
- Ensuring that Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility are modeled and upheld by the program.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in an academic discipline appropriate to the field of specialization and two to three years of professional experience related to program specialization; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proven ability to apply a range of concepts, techniques, and practices to carry out technical program objectives.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and sustain relationships with diverse stakeholders.
- Familiarity with social media platforms and management, specifically Instagram and Facebook.
- Ability to facilitate meetings and presentations with large groups.
- A passion for community, food systems, agriculture, food justice, and youth leadership development.
- A clear understanding of farm-to-school’s potential to impact community food systems, agriculture, food justice, and education.
- Relevant volunteer or work experience in both a school setting and also as a farmer/gardener to better relate to farm-to-school from both sides.
- Demonstrated commitment to antiracism, food justice, and the values of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Detailed work ethic, demonstrated ability to self-direct while working collaboratively
- Demonstrated experience in managing budgets
- Ability to approach responsibilities and tasks with strategic thinking.
- Skilled in managing multiple priorities and projects while keeping track of details and long-term goals.
- Proven experience in program management and program development skills
- Spanish language. Bilingual abilities are a plus.
- Familiarity with graphic design programs such as Canva, as well as web-based platforms such as Wix and MailChimp.
This is a part-time, end-dated position with the possibility of renewal subject to performance and funding. Telecommuting on a hybrid basis may be allowed subject to authorization and University policy. The University offers a competitive salary, and outstanding benefits, including employee and dependent tuition waivers at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment. For additional information regarding benefits visit: https://hr.uconn.edu/benefits-beyond-pay/. Other rights, terms, and conditions of employment are contained in the collective bargaining agreement between the University of Connecticut and the University of Connecticut Professional Employees Association (UCPEA).
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #497128 to upload a resume, cover letter that addresses how you meet the minimum and any preferred qualifications of the position, and contact information for three (3) professional or work-related references.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on March 22, 2023.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Advertised: Feb 20 2023 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Mar 22 2023 Eastern Daylight Time