Master Gardener (Educational Program Coordinator)
Search #: 497171
Work type: Full-time
Location: Other – please see posting for additional information
Categories: Academic Programs and Services
This Master Gardener (Educational Program Coordinator) position ensures the effective and consistent function of the UConn Extension Master Gardener program in developing trained volunteers who can assist the general public with horticultural issues and educate on home garden horticultural/environmental concerns. The successful candidate will oversee, support and guide the county coordinators, schedule and coordinate instructors for the educational component of the program and work with the department head to find resolutions to any program challenges. They will also lead county Master Gardener activities in one designated county. They will work with the Department of Extension administrative coordinator on the management and administration of funding in support of the program. This position receives supervision from the Department Head for UConn Extension.
The College of Agriculture, Health, and Natural Resources at the University of Connecticut provides for a global sustainable future through scientific discovery, innovation, and community engagement. Our accomplishments result in safe, sustainable, and secure plant and animal production systems, healthier individuals and communities, greater protection and conservation of our environment and natural resources, balanced growth of the economy, and resilient local and global communities. We epitomize the role of the land-grant university which is to develop knowledge and disseminate it through the three academic functions of teaching, research, and outreach education. In so doing, we work to improve the lives of citizens of our state, region, and country. At present, our workforce consists of 315 faculty and staff. We invite applications from people who share the same vision of academic excellence and customer service.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Include but are not limited to:
- Oversight of planning and coordination of the UConn Master Gardener program, including working with county/local programs. Ensure standardized classroom procedures and policies are carried out consistently in all programs.
- Assist in the development of advanced Master Gardener Classes, online programming, educational events, production of newsletters, and other publications relevant to the UConn Master Gardener program.
- Work in one county to administer the local program, teach classes and assist with public service calls as they relate to the Master Gardener program, and perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
- Serve as liaison between the University and volunteers for the development and coordination of the Master Gardener program.
- Work on statewide Master Gardener program procedures, responding to staff, volunteer, and participant inquiries and issues regarding program procedures, requirements, and policies.
- Focus on integrating Master Gardener programs with the CAHNR Strategic Vision Implementation Committees.
- Support recruitment efforts of new participants and volunteers for the Master Gardner program.
- Ensure the maintenance of accurate and up-to-date program records as they relate to volunteer service. Direct processes for maintaining program records, files, and paperwork associated with the program’s educational, volunteer, and participant records.
- Develop fundraising programs to support the program’s needs.
- Work with administrative program support for the Department of Extension to ensure budget and fundraising goals are met to support the program. Assists as needed with general administrative functions including but not limited to preparing correspondence, entering, compiling, and retrieving computer data for reporting on program impact.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and three to four years of profession-based experience; or seven to eight years of profession-based experience serving in a professional capacity directly related to the field of education, Extension, or horticulture.
- Demonstrated ability to apply a range of educational concepts, techniques, and practices to carry out program objectives.
- Ability to evaluate and produce reliable results.
- Demonstrated excellence in written and oral communication skills.
- Proven experience and skills in program management and program development.
- Graduation from the UConn Master Gardener program.
- A proven passion for public and home horticulture and experience in urban gardening.
- Bilingual language abilities.
- Demonstrated capacity to manage and sustain relationships with diverse stakeholders.
- Experience with social media management, specifically Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube.
- Ability to organize and facilitate meetings and presentations with large groups.
- Skilled in managing multiple priorities and projects while keeping track of details.
This is a full-time, permanent position, covering both county and state Master Gardner responsibilities. The University offers a competitive salary, and outstanding benefits, including employee and dependent tuition waivers at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment. For additional information regarding benefits visit: https://hr.uconn.edu/benefits-beyond-pay/. Other rights, terms, and conditions of employment are contained in the collective bargaining agreement between the University of Connecticut and the University of Connecticut Professional Employees Association (UCPEA).
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
Please apply online at www.jobs.uconn.edu, Staff Positions, Search #497171. Please provide a cover letter explaining your interest and why you meet all minimum qualifications including addressing desired qualifications as appropriate, a resume, three professional, work-related references, and a one-page document on how the applicant believes the UConn Master Gardener program integrates with the CAHNR Strategic Vision.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on March 10, 2023.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Advertised: Feb 08 2023 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Mar 10 2023 Eastern Standard Time